Metal-free zirconium crowns and bridges
These are primarily made of zirconium dioxide (zirconia) or compressed ceramic.
Zirconia ceramic as a base material for crowns and bridges has been developed in the previous few years. It has numerous advantages when compared with metal-ceramic prostheses:
- It is metal-free, and does not cause allergy, therefor it is part of our cosmetic dentistry in Budapest.
- Besides its mechanical properties being in many aspects better than those of metals, a prosthesis made of it is entirely esthetic and tooth-colored.
- It is biologically neutral (bioinert) and environmentally friendly. It conducts heat and electricity poorly; therefore, dental plaques cannot build up on its surface.
- It is permeable to light, and has excellent photodynamic properties.
- In case of crowns and bridges made of this material, there is no risk of gingivitis or premature gingival retraction.
Its disadvantage is that it is more expensive than its counterparts, however, it is more modern, and represents an esthetically higher value. There is no risk of developing metal allergy, or a discoloration of the gingival margin near the edge of the metal parts.
Besides prostheses, dental implants and abutment pieces (fitted into the implant to support the restoration) are also made of this material. It seems that its application has opened a new era in dentistry.
Make your zirconium crowns at DentiDent Implantation Clinic Budapest, in Hungary!